Best Vitiligo Treatment in Jaipur
A Definite Guide: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments of White Spots/Patches
What is Vitiligo (White patches)?
Vitiligo is a skin disease in which white patches of skin appear on various parts of the body. In Vitiligo skin starts losing its usual colour (pigmentation).
Though medically it’s not a serious disease, but the social stigma attached to it makes it a matter of concern and psychological stress. This not only affects the appearance of the skin but also brings down the confidence level of the patient.
What Causes Vitiligo?
This disorder occurs when colour producing cells of our body (melanocytes) are either destroyed or they stop functioning which results in loss of normal skin colour. The exact etiology of Vitiligo is still unknown. This is associated with either autoimmune, neural, genetic, oxidative stress, or viral causes.
Which age group gets affected by Vitiligo?
Vitiligo can occur at any age, but it usually makes its first appearance between 10-30 years of age. Vitiligo without differentiation can affect all races and any gender equally. However, this becomes more noticeable in people with dark skin colour.
What are the symptoms of Vitiligo?
The only sign and symptoms of Vitiligo are the appearance of pale to white patches on the skin. In some cases, this precedes by itching on the skin. However, the skin texture remains normal in this disease.
Once a new patch appears in the body it can further increase in size for varying periods of time. This is called “unstable phase” of vitiligo. During this time:
- More new patches can develop in other areas of the body.
- Injuries suffered during this period can turn white in colour.
What are the areas affected by Vitiligo?
Patches can appear on any part of the body. Depending upon the Vitiligo pattern they may be:
- Single patch or multiple patches.
- Patches can be restricted to one half of the body, or appear symmetrically on both sides of the body.
- Patches can develop around all body openings like on eyes, ears, nostrils, around the mouth area, groin area etc.
- Some patches can have white hairs outgrowth growing on scalp, eyebrows, beard or eyelashes.
What are the various types of Vitiligo?
- According to the appearance of vitiligo, it can be:
- Generalized (white patches all over the body),
- Segmental (white patches only on one side of the body) and
- Focal (white patches limited to only one or few areas of the body).
- According to progression of diseases clinically –
- Unstable Vitiligo – When patches start appearing and simultaneously spreading to other areas. In this new patches can appear in future and any injury can turn in white colour. The disease is active in body and can last for a variable period of time. The only treatment for preventing the spreading of patches is medication. No surgical treatment is possible in this case.
- Stable Vitiligo – In this, the disease has stopped spreading. New patches do not appear, and any injuries start healing with normal skin color. Surgery is a good option in such cases.
Can the appearance of new white patches be stopped?
As it is not in our hands to stop fever from recurring after taking medicines and getting treated. Similarly, when Vitiligo patches though stop appearing, the disease is still present in the body in dormant form. Once you are cured of your existing patches this means to us that you are no longer a patient now.
Can the disease reactivate later?
In all – no, in some cases – yes. Though, there is no time limit for it. There are cases where patches have appeared after 10 to 20 years.
Does it spread from one person to another?
This is a myth. It does not spread from one person to another. Instead, persons with vitiligo are completely normal. They are similar to other people in all respects and should never be regarded as a social stigma.
What is the treatment for Vitiligo?
The aim of any treatment or procedure for Vitiligo is –
- To stop or slow the progression of skin pigment loss and,
- To bring back the natural skin colour from abnormal white patches.
Different therapies and treatments work better for different patients and there is no said single treatment which works for everyone equally. Following treatment options are available at Jaipur Skincity:
- Medical Treatment – oral and topical applications.
- Light treatment – EXCIMER light, PUVA, NBUVB
- Surgical treatment – skin grafting (Blister grafting)
- Combination therapy – combination of above regime as per patient requirements.
In the unstable form of Vitiligo various oral and topical medicines are used. The medications are chosen on the basis of various factors like affected body surface area and the number of new patches developed in last 1-3 months.
Phototherapy is one of the most common and successful Vitiligo treatments, resulting in repigmentation of the white skin patches.
This may be in the form of UVA in combination with drug Psoralen or narrow band UVB or excimer light therapy.
- Narrow band UVB is also known as NB-UVB. It is an effective method where limited and selective light is exposed to the body. This treatment is well tolerated and results are satisfactory.
- Excimer system – This is a relatively new form of treatment which has shown remarkably very good results. In this therapy, the specific monochromatic 308-nm radiation wavelength is delivered to a targeted form by the source. This has shown efficacy superior to NB-UVB for the treatment of vitiligo and induces more changes at the cellular level than conventional UVB modalities.
How does it work?
Excimer light therapy is currently among the best and most effective treatment option for people with ‘active’ Vitiligo. This light decreases the activity of immune system thus helping in controlling the diseases from spreading and developing to newer areas. It may also have the effect of ‘stimulating’ melanocytes to repigment the skin.
How is this treatment given?
In this therapy sessions are given twice weekly for at least 20-24 sessions. You start observing changes after 10 sessions. The Excimer system is effective in adults and children with Vitiligo in all skin types as monotherapy or can also be given in combination with topical corticosteroids and oral vitamin E.
Is Excimer light therapy painful?
Most patients feel no pain or discomfort during the Excimer light treatment. A few report of feeling a warm sensation at the site of the lesion. No anesthesia is required for this treatment.
What are the advantages of excimer light therapy?
- Painless procedure.
- Targeted treatment of the lesion is given (instead of other UV therapy where exposure of larger area is there) thus, there is no risk of damage to
- the healthy skin.
- Most effective, convenient, currently one of the best available treatment.
Who is a candidate?
All skin types.
308 Excimer light treatment is suitable for which people groups?
- The early Vitiligo patients.
- Segmental type Vitiligo, usual type Vitiligo, hair follicle type Vitiligo, local type Vitiligo etc.
- Patients who are troubled by Vitiligo for a long time.
- Patients with a repeated attack of Vitiligo.
- Children with Vitiligo.
What is the Recovery time?
Usually none. It varies from one condition to another. The treated area may remain pink for some time.
What are the side effects?
The specific risks and suitability of this procedure for an individual can be determined only at the time of consultation. Minor complications that do not affect the outcome may occur occasionally. Blistering, change of pigmentation may occur in some patients. Long-term side effects are yet to be determined.
Why choose Jaipur Skincity for the treatment?
- Affordable Prices.
- Most Advanced Technology with state of the art machines first of its kind in Rajasthan.
- Conveniently Located Clinic in Jaipur and easy availability.
- Treatment is comfortable and cost-effective.
- Experienced and medically specialized Technical staff.
- Guaranteed satisfactorily good results after treatment.
If you’re seeking a skilled dermatologist in Jaipur, look no further. Dr. Sachin Sharda, with 15 years of experience, is your trusted choice. As a prominent member of the Indian Association of Dermatologists, Venereologists & Leprologists, he offers a wide range of dermatological services. From treating skin conditions to advanced procedures like hair transplants and laser therapies, Dr Sharda is dedicated to providing top-notch care for all your skin needs. Choose Dr. Sachin Sharda as your dermatologist in Jaipur for expert and personalized treatments.