Are you fed up with wrinkles? Want to know the causes of wrinkles? Wrinkles are the lines and creases that form in your skin and especially noticeable around your eyes, mouth, and neck.Wrinkles, a natural part of aging, are most prominent on sun-exposed skin, such as the face, neck, hands, and forearms.
What Causes Wrinkles
Wrinkles are caused by a combination of factors — some you can control, others you can’t!!
Let us find out what are the major causes of wrinkles on face:
- Age. As you get older, your skin naturally becomes less elastic and more fragile. Decreased production of natural oils, decrease in fat in deeper layer makes it appear more wrinkled. Age is said to be the major cause of wrinkles, which we just can’t control.
- Exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light. Exposure to UV light breaks down your skin’s connective tissue — collagen and elastin fibers, which lie in the deeper layer of skin (dermis). The skin then begins to sag and wrinkle prematurely. UV rays are one of the most prominent causes of wrinkles on face and forehead.
- Smoking. People often ask us does Smoking causes wrinkles on the face? The answer is Yes, Smoking can accelerate the normal aging process of your skin, contributing to the causes of wrinkles. This may be due to changes in the blood supply to your skin.
- Repeated facial expressions. Patients also question us that does smiling or laughing causes wrinkles? This is partially correct, Facial movements and expressions, such as squinting or smiling, lead to fine lines and wrinkles. Each time you use a facial muscle, a groove forms beneath the surface of the skin. And as skin ages, it loses its flexibility and is no longer able to spring back in place. These grooves then become permanent features on your face. Thus, Repeated facial expressions are also one of the causes of wrinkles on the face.
If your wrinkles bother you, you have more options than ever to help smooth them or make them less visible. The first and foremost is the prevention of getting wrinkles, by changing your lifestyle.
How to Get Rid of Wrinkles
Let’s now find out how to get rid of wrinkles on face and ways to make the most of your skin’s appearance:
- Protect your skin from the sun. Protect your skin — and prevent future wrinkles — by limiting the time you spend in the sun and always wearing protective clothing, such as wide-brimmed hats, long-sleeved shirts, and sunglasses. Also, use sunscreen during outdoors, even during winter. The American Academy of Dermatology recommends using a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or more. Protecting skin from the sun is very important to get rid of the wrinkles on the face as UV rays which are emitted from the Sun are the major causes of wrinkles.
- Use products with built-in sunscreen. When selecting skin care products, choose those with a built-in broad-spectrum sunscreen — meaning it blocks both UVA and UVB rays.
- Use moisturizers. Dry skin shrivels plump skin cells, which can lead to premature fine lines and wrinkles. Though moisturizers can’t help you get rid of wrinkles on face, they may temporarily mask tiny lines and creases.
- Don’t smoke. Even if you’ve smoked for years or smoked heavily, you can still improve your skin tone and texture and prevent future wrinkles by quitting smoking.
- Eat a healthy diet. There is some evidence that certain vitamins in your diet help protect your skin. More study is needed on the role of nutrition, but it’s good to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables to get rid of wrinkles on face.
The next best option is to meet a dermatologist. He or she can assess your skin and help you create a personalized skin care plan. A dermatologist can recommend medical wrinkle treatments in form of Medications, skin-resurfacing techniques, fillers, injectables and surgery top the list of effective wrinkle treatments.
Some Medications to Get Rid of Wrinkles
- Topical retinoids. that you apply to your skin may reduce fine wrinkles, splotches, and skin roughness but this always should use on the prescription of the dermatologist.
- Nonprescription wrinkle creams. With nonprescription wrinkle creams, your results, if any, are limited and usually short-lived because these creams contain less of the active ingredients than do prescription creams.
Surgical and Cosmetic Solutions to Wrinkles
Surgical procedures and other techniques to reduce the causes of Wrinkles on face and forehead
A variety of skin-resurfacing techniques, injectables, fillers and surgical procedures are available to smooth out and reduce the causes of wrinkles. Each has its own set of potential results and side effects. Some studies indicate that a combination of treatments may yield the most satisfying results.
- Chemical peel: Your doctor applies an acid to the affected areas, which burns the outer layer of your skin to remove age spots and freckles, as well as wrinkles. Depending on the depth of the peel, you may need several before you see a difference. Redness lasts up to several weeks after Chemical peel.
- Carbon peel: Carbon peel is also known as Hollywood peel and has an effect of 4 chemical peels. Results are promising. This technique is very effecting in getting rid of the wrinkles on the face.
- Microdermabrasion: Similar to dermabrasion, the Microdermabrasion technique removes only a fine layer of skin. This technique usually requires a series of treatments to produce results.
- Botulinum toxin type A (Botox): When injected in small doses into specific muscles, Botox keeps the muscles from contracting. It works well on frown lines between the eyebrows and across the forehead and on crow’s-feet at the eye corners. Results typically last about three to four months. Repeat injections are needed to maintain results and prevent the causes wrinkles on face and the forehead.
- Soft tissue fillers: Soft tissue fillers, which include fat, collagen and hyaluronic acid (Restylane, Juvederm, others), can be injected into deeper wrinkles on your face. They plump and smooth wrinkles and furrows. You may experience temporary swelling, redness and bruising in the treated area. The procedure may need to be repeated every few months to get rid of the wrinkles permanently
- Laser, light source, and radiofrequency treatments: In laser resurfacing, a laser beam heats the underlying skin (dermis), stimulating the growth of new collagen fibers. ablative, non-ablative, Q switched Nd: Yag and various other kinds of lasers are available these days with their own qualities. Meet the expert dermatologist to know how they can be helpful for you to get rid of the wrinkles on face.
Keep in mind that results vary depending on the location and depth of your wrinkles. Nothing stops the aging process of skin, so you’ll likely need repeated treatments to maintain benefits.
So be sure to discuss them with your doctor. Make sure your dermatologist or plastic surgeon is specially trained and experienced in the technique you’re considering.
Dr. Sachin Sharda is a dermatologist in Jaipur with vast experience skin treatments. We provide the latest nonablated laser available in the market and the most effective technique in getting rid of the wrinkles.
We also have facilities for various cosmetic treatments like chemical peels, carbon peels, microdermabrasion, and Q switch Nd Yag laser. The results are promising. For appointment contact 9468975757.